This is a red Swingline 747 Business desk stapler. It is “designed for long-term use” and features a “100% Performance Guarantee.”
Note: I will be profiling one new stapler per week as we lead up to the start of the fall 2014 semester. The new staplers will be made available on August 25. Thanks again, Swingline!
The following statistics and notes are based on observational data collected at the reference desk of Middle Tennessee State University’s James E. Walker Library during the Spring 2014 semester.
- 14 staplers served at the reference desk.
- 9 staplers did not survive the semester.
- 7 staplers were confirmed dead.
- 2 staplers were lost or stolen and are presumed dead.
- 5 staplers survived (Staplers 24, 43, 44, 45, and 46).
- The five surviving staplers have logged 375 days of service.
- Stapler 24 is the only stapler to survive both the Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 semesters. It is still going strong at 256 days.
The following figures describe the library’s Spring 2014 dead staplers (and exclude figures for the five survivors):
- Shortest lifespan: 0 days (Stapler 39)
- Longest lifespan: 194 days (Stapler 22)
- Average lifespan: 96.4 days
- Median lifespan: 84 days
- Combined days of service: 868 days